Final day of championships caps off the indoor season

• 0
rainsberger

Katie Rainsberger runs the mile at the Last Chance College Elite Meet.

Washington’s representatives at the NCAA Indoor National Championships in Birmingham, Alabama wrapped up the indoor season Saturday with their final races.

The first track event of the day was the finals for women’s mile race, which Katie Rainsberger earned her spot for in yesterday’s qualifying round.

Rainsberger finished seventh in the finals and received First Team All-America honors, with a time of 4:39.05.

The time in today’s race was nearly four seconds behind her personal best, which came earlier this season at the Last Chance College Elite Meet in Seattle.

Rainsberger also qualified for the 3000-meter race, which was scheduled just two hours after the conclusion of her first race of the day.

The transfer from Oregon was unable to make the podium in her second event, finishing 12th with a time of 9:17.37. She began towards the back of the pack in the first half of the race, then worked her way up a few spots in towards the end to get a Second Team All-America honor.

Rainsberger entered today with the 15th best time in the nation for the 3000, with her time of 9:02.84 at the 2019 Husky Classic.

The lone man competing in the second day was distance runner Fred Huxham. The senior finished 10th in the 3000 meter race, his time of 7:58.95 was roughly seven seconds behind his personal best.

Huxham found himself running in the eighth spot for a lot of the race, but was passed by two runners in the closing seconds to barely miss out on the podium in his final indoor event at Washington. He earned Second-Team All-America honors.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy