Huskies drop two matches against top-ranked California teams

• 0

The Washington beach volleyball team faced No. 1 UCLA for the second time this season in the Pac-12 North Tournament at Stanford Beach Volleyball Stadium and got swept by the Bruins (24-0) 5-0, who earned their 15th sweep of the year.

In the second matchup of the day, the Huskies (6-8, 1-4 Pac-12) fell to No.19 Stanford 3-2.

Game 1

In the No. 1 spot, seniors Kristen Gengenbacher and Destiny Julye fell to the Bruins senior twin-sister duo of Megan and Nicole McNamara 21-16, 21-15.

That was followed by a 22-20, 23-21 loss that was a tough battle in the No. 2 position from sophomore Kara Bajema and junior Shayne McPherson.

Sophomore Samantha Drechsel and senior Cat McCoy lost  21-17, 21-13 in the No. 3 spot.

The match-up at No. 4 went into extra points in the second set but it just wasn’t enough from sophomore Avie Niece and freshman Kyra Petersen to pull off the win; they fell 21-16, 22-20.

In the final No. 5 spot, UCLA’s Izzy Carey and Lindsey Sparks defeated sophomore Emma Calle and freshman Callie Weber for the Dawgs handedly 21-9, 21-14.

Game 2

Washington started off hot in the No.1 spot with Gengenbacher and Julye winning 21-19, 21-13.

In the No. 2 and No. 4 positions, the Cardinal beat the UW duos of Bajema and McPherson 21-17, 21-11 and Niece and Petersen 21-15, 21-16.

Calle and Weber in the No. 5 spot pulled out the other Washington win in three sets, 21-23, 21-16, 15-11.

It all came down to the No. 3 position, with Drechsel and McCoy competing against Stanford’s Maddie Dailey and Amelia Smith who, ended up winning 26-24, 22-20, 15-6 to seal the whole match.

Tomorrow the tournament continues as the Dawgs go on to face two more California powerhouses, No. 2 USC and No.12 Cal.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee