Dawgs sweep Pilots in first home match

• 0
190125_MD_WTennis_

Stacey Fung celebrates scoring a critical point in Washington's sweep of Portland. The Huskies did not drop a single set in the win.

The Washington women’s tennis team hosted Portland Friday night in its second dual match of the year, sweeping the Pilots 7-0 in dominant fashion.

The Huskies (2-0) started fast in doubles, with Stacey Fung and Nika Zupancic winning 6-2, Vanessa Wong and Kenadi Hance 6-1, and Sedona Gallagher and Delara Zamani winning 6-2.

The Huskies attacked their opponents with strong serving, coupled with solid net play. 

“We’ve been working on being more aggressive in doubles, especially with our serves and returns, just having more of a presence at the net,” said head coach Robin Stephenson. “We worked on that a ton this week and I think it showed today.”

In singles, the Huskies were just as dominant, winning all six of their matches without conceding a set. Slotted at No. 1 singles, Fung played the most competitive match of the night, beating Jelena Lukic 6-3, 6-4.

Fung started out slow, going down 2-0 in the first set before then turning on the burners and winning six of the seven following games to take the set 6-3. The second set featured some of the night’s best tennis, with both players hitting aggressive shots and making miraculous saves.

With all the other matches ended, all eyes were on Fung as she closed out the second set 6-4 en route to her second singles win of the season.

“She’s always going to compete until the last point and she makes her opponents earn everything,” Stephenson said. “It was great to have the girls watching her compete and close out that match. She showed a lot of maturity.”

Next up for the Huskies is Eastern Washington and Seattle University, as the Huskies host both schools this Sunday, Jan. 27.

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder