3-2-1, basketball: The Daily’s primer on Oregon State and Oregon

• 0

Freshly out of the rankings, the Washington men’s basketball team has just two games left on its regular season slate: home matchups against the Oregon schools. Get the down-low on Oregon State and Oregon:

3 numbers to know

46.6: Remember how Utah had a really high field goal percentage despite the fact that it shoots a lot of three-pointers? Oregon State is a bit more typical; the Beavers share the conference lead with a shooting percentage of 46.6 percent, but do so by focusing more than anyone else on high-percentage shots. OSU is one of just three Pac-12 teams with under 600 threes attempted on the season, instead relying on getting points in the paint.

30.6: Oregon’s perimeter defense has been the best in the conference just so, forcing opponents to shoot 30.6 percent from beyond the arc. The Ducks are pretty high up in most of the other conference defensive rankings as well, coming in second to the UW in steals (7.5 per game) and blocks (5.6 per game).

6: Oregon State is 1-3 in its past four games, but those three losses have come by a combined six points. The Beavers lost to UCLA 68-67 two weeks ago in Westwood, before dropping home matchups to Arizona and Arizona State by two and three points, respectively. (More on that later.)

2 players to watch

Stephen Thompson Jr. — G, Oregon State

It’s always Thompson, isn’t it? In 2016, his last-second three-pointer at Gill Coliseum beat Washington 82-81. Last season, he scored 22 points when the Beavers hosted the Dawgs, and hit a three with 0.3 seconds left in double overtime to give OSU a 97-94 win. When the UW and OSU met earlier this season in Corvallis, he dropped 30 points to lead all scorers.

Louis King — F, Oregon

With Bol Bol out, King has become the Ducks’ showcase freshman, averaging 12.7 points per game. After missing the first seven games of the year, he has hit his stride in conference play, scoring at least 10 points in all but one Pac-12 contest. When the UW went to Eugene in January, he scored 19 points.

1 recap of last week

OSU and UO had two very different experiences when the Arizona schools came to Oregon. Oregon State lost its games by a total of five points, falling to Arizona 74-72 on a buzzer-beater and Arizona State 74-71. Meanwhile, Oregon absolutely rolled, winning its two games by a combined 54 points.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum