Huskies continue winning ways against Utah

• 0

The No. 7 Washington women’s tennis team came back from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Utah 4-3 on Sunday morning.

The Huskies improved to 12-1 on the season with another close victory, their fourth win on the season decided by just one point.

The deciding match was won by Washington junior Natsuho Arakawa, who defeated Whitney Hekking 5-7, 6-3, 6-4. Arakawa was able to overpower Hekking with her dominant forehand, along with her accurate backhand stroke.

"I could not have clinched the match today without the support and love we have on this team," Arakawa said to gohuskies.com. "I heard everyone's voice and heart out there and that's why I kept fighting. There is no other team that I want to be on and give it my all for."

Arakawa is a transfer from Arkansas, where she found success in singles her first two years, totaling 40 singles wins with the Razorbacks. The Huskies are happy to have her playing in the No. 4 singles position, where she has a record of 7-2 to start the season.

Sophomore Vanessa Wong remained perfect this season, beating Utah’s Madison Tattini 6-1, 7-5. With the victory, Wong improved to 12-0 in singles this season.

Freshman Sedona Gallagher and Nika Zupancic did their part to ensure a UW win, as they both won crucial singles matches in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles slots. Gallagher won her match 6-0, 6-3, while Zupancic defeated Anya Lamore 6-2, 6-2.

With Sunday’s win, the Huskies are now 2-0 in Pac-12 play. They will face Oregon on Friday, Mar. 15.

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder