Washington drops road match to No. 17 Minnesota

• 0

The Washington men’s tennis team fell to No. 17 ranked Minnesota on Friday by a final score of 5-2. 

The Huskies (3-6) have struggled to put together complete performances, especially on the road, and Friday’s match was no different. The UW youth fought well, but was unable to come up with the big wins needed to beat a team as talented as Minnesota.

Freshman Ernesto Turegano has been a reliable producer for the Huskies all season, but fell at No. 4 singles 4-6, 3-6 to Minnesota’s Marino Alpeza. Freshman Ewen Lumsden also played extremely well for most of his match, but lost a heartbreaker in three sets 5-7, 6-1, 2-6.

The few upperclassmen on the Husky roster carried the load, as senior Piers Foley defeated Stefan Milicevic in No. 2 singles 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. Playing in the first slot, senior Enzo Sommer also collected another victory, beating No. 38 ranked Josip Krstanovic 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Sommer continues to find his form, following his recent Pac-12 player of week nomination up with a win against a highly ranked opponent. Foley and Sommer collected the only two points on the night for the Huskies, who will need more help from the supporting cast in the future.

In doubles, the senior duo of Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer lost to Minnesota’s Jackson Allen and Eli Ogilvy 5-7. In the other doubles match that went final, freshman pairing of Ewen Lumsden and Ernesto Turegano fell to Alpeza and Milicevic 4-6.

Along with figuring out how to manufacture doubles victories, a key for the Huskies moving forward will be more consistent play throughout the lineup. Washington has had difficulties in timing so that everyone is playing their best tennis at one time.

The Huskies have another chance this weekend, when they play Indiana on Sunday, Mar. 3.

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder