180331_HuskyRegatta_CC_05

The Washington men's eights rows down the Montlake Cut last weekend.

Following a successful weekend at the Husky Open that saw the Washington men’s crew sweep their races and the women nearly do the same, the UW men will take center stage on the Montlake Cut this Friday.

As the top-ranked women take the weekend off to prepare for races with No. 3 Texas and No. 6 Michigan on April 14, the men’s crew is set to face off against Pac-12 rivals Oregon State and Stanford.

“They have some really top-end guys, some on the U.S. national under-23 team,” men’s head coach Michael Callahan said about Stanford. “They’re usually really fast starting; if we fall behind them it might cause us some problems.”

It will mark the second competition between the Huskies and Cardinal for the Andrea and Everett Peter Paup Cup, which honors former UW and Stanford coxswain Peter Paup. Washington won the first Cup last year, beating Stanford, Wisconsin, UC Davis, and Orange Coast College at the Stanford Invitational. 

Saturday’s races are scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. as the UW faces Oregon State in the varsity four. 

Three races against Stanford are set to follow. The third varsity/freshman eight begins at 4:15 p.m., with the second varsity eights racing at 4:30 p.m. and first varsity eight concluding the matchup with Stanford at 4:45 p.m..

Later, the UW will row those same races against Oregon State. The third varsity/freshman eight is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by the second varsity eight at 5:45 p.m. and the first varsity at 6 p.m. The schedule can be found here

Reach contributing writer Jordan Duncan at sports@dailyuw.comTwitter: @JordanDuncan43