Huskies’ season comes to end with defeat to USC

• 0
041919_LB_2

Washington's Pac-12 tournament match against No. 8 USC was called before senior Enzo Sommer could finish his matchup with No. 10 Brandon Holt. 

The Washington men’s tennis team was defeated 4-0 by No. 8 USC in the Pac-12 tournament quarterfinals on Thursday afternoon.

The Huskies (7-17, 2-6 Pac-12) wrapped up their 2018-19 season to a team that has had their number this season. The Trojans swept the Dawgs in both the regular season matchup earlier in the year, and look primed for a deep run in the tournament.

After quickly winning the doubles point, USC was able to get three relatively comfortable wins at No. 2, 5, and 6 singles to clinch the match. While these losses salted the match away for the Huskies, the matches still being played were all tight.

At No. 1 singles, senior Enzo Sommer finished his UW career with one of his best performances of the season, staying close with No. 10 Brandon Holt, one of the top singles players in the country. Sommer was on serve with Holt in the second set, trailing 4-6, 3-4 when the match was decided.

Freshman Ewen Lumsden has burst onto the scene this season for the Huskies, and was fighting back against No. 77 Logan Smith when the match was decided. After losing the first set 1-6, Lumsden came back to win the second 6-2 before the match was called. 

The Huskies will look to develop the rosters talent in the offseason, and hope to come back and make a run in the conference tournament next year.

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com  Twitter: @cadenmconder