The No. 12 Washington men’s cross-country team placed second, and the No. 16 women claimed fifth at the Pre-Nationals in Wisconsin against top competition on Saturday behind a top-10 finishes from sophomore Tibebu Proctor and junior Katie Rainsberger.

For Proctor, it was his second top-10 finish of the year and his second time leading the Dawgs in scoring after placing eighth at the Sundodger Invitational. The sophomore was in the lead pack for the whole race, finishing in 23:56.2, just 2.2 seconds behind the leader.

Proctor wasn’t the only runner on the men’s side to run a good race. Senior Tanner Anderson finished the race in 24:01.5, good for 11th, and four seconds in front of sophomore Talon Hull in 14th, placing three Dawgs placed in the top-15. Seniors Fred Huxham and Mahmoud Moussa, who crossed the line in 35th and 41st respectively, rounded out the scoring positions to give the Huskies 106 points and easily grab second place as a team.

In the women’s race, Rainsberger led the team for the third competition in a row as her 20:20.9 finish put her in 10th overall. Senior Emily Hamlin was the second Husky across, coming in at 20:50.1 in 22nd, just under seven seconds before junior Kaitlyn Neal in 31st. Sophomore Allie Schadler, who placed 51st, and freshman Olivia O’Keeffe wrapped up the scoring position as the Huskies picked up 199 points. That put the women in a tie with the hosts, No. 8 Wisconsin, but Washington won the tiebreaker to finish fifth as a team.

For the men’s race, No. 2 BYU destroyed the competition, placing five runners in the top-12 including individual title winner Rory Linkletter to score just 29 points and walk away with a convincing win. Washington finished runner-up ahead of No. 8 Syracuse in third, No. 25 UCLA in fourth, and Notre Dame in fifth. The Dawgs also picked up wins against No. 10 Air Force, No. 13 Purdue, No. 21 Indiana, No. 4 Portland, and No. 17 Washington State.

The team title for the women went to No. 3 New Mexico. The Lady Lobos went one and two with individual title winner Weini Kelati coming in at 19:33.3, a whole 12 seconds ahead of teammate and reigning NCAA champion Ednah Kurgat. No. 10 Michigan just edged out No. 5 Stanford for second while No. 22 Notre Dame finished in fourth. With Washington placing fifth, they pick up wins over ranked Wisconsin and No. 12 Furman.

The Huskies' next race will be the Pac-12 Championships on Oct. 26 as the final stretch of the season approaches.

Reach reporter Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita

Alanrton

Post a comment Post a comment Post a comment https://www.analyzedu.com/writing-services-reviews/customwritings-com-review.html Post a comment Post a comment Post a comment