UW women sweep NCAA titles

• 0
UW women sweep NCAA titles

The UW women's varsity eight celebrate their Windemere Cup win over Germany and UCLA.

The Washington women’s rowing team left Indianapolis this morning as national champions after sweeping all three of its grand finals races.

It’s just the second time in NCAA Championships history that a school as won all three titles; the Huskies also did it in 2017.

The varsity eight marked the first grand final race of the day for the Huskies. Washington trailed Michigan and Texas at the 500-meter mark by about a second, and with 500 meters left to go in the race, they both had had a few seconds over the Huskies. The UW made an incredible push going into the finish line and emerged with a come from behind victory and a winning time of 6:07.284. Texas came in second with a time of 6:07.971.

In the second varsity eight grand final, Washington followed the top boat’s winning ways. The Huskies faced a small deficit at the 500-meter mark and the halfway point, but were able to fend off the Longhorns with a first place time of 6:11.262 as the Longhorns took second with a time of 6:12.328.

The final grand final race of the day for the Dawgs came via the varsity four. Once again, the UW trailed in the first half of the race, but used a strong back half to erase the deficit and earn first. The Huskies crossed the line in 6:52.451 with Stanford (6:55.642) in second.

On their way to becoming national champions, the Huskies broke their own 2017 record in the fours.

Reach reporter Evan Wong at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @evan_wong29