The Washington men's team defeated Portland State (7-5) by a score of 7-0 to move to 8-5 on the year.

It was a big win coming off of yesterday's narrow loss to Minnesota.

“I think a lot of our guys recovered faster than I did from last night's match,” head coach Matt Anger said. “We are trying to keep getting better and we have lofty goals and we have to make sure we're on track to achieve them.”

The team made a few changes in the doubles lineup with freshman Alexis Alvarez replacing junior Piers Foley alongside senior Mitch Stewart. The new duo struggled out of the gate falling 6-4.

The other change was between junior Sebastian Hawken and senior Jake Douglas to play with freshman Jack Davis. This pairing had a bit more success, winning 6-4.

The one duo that did not have any changes was on Court 1 with Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer. They took care of business quickly with a 6-1 victory.

The lineup changes continued into singles with senior Joao Barra getting his second dose of action this season. He won the only three-set match of the day for the Dawgs, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3

Another notable change was the absence of Sommer in singles. Sophomore Amit Batta stepped up on court 3 and battled to force a tiebreaker in the first set in which he was victorious, he followed it up with an easier 6-3 victory in the second set. 

The lineup changes were important for the team as they close out nonconference play.

“We were trying to get all 10 guys into the lineup today,” Anger said. “I'm happy we were able to do that and that everybody got action this weekend.”

Stewart and Douglas switched places in the lineup and both players were much better after falling in straight sets yesterday.

Douglas won a quick 6-2, 6-2 match, while Stewart took the first set easily 6-1 before struggling a bit in the second set before taking it 6-4.

The lopsided scoreboard was not totally indicative of Stewart's performance.

“I think he picked up his level a little bit as it went on,” Stewart said. “He was a very good player and pushed me, I'm really happy to come away with the win there.”

The two freshmen, Davis and Alvarez, took care of business pretty easily. Davis won 6-3, 6-2. Alvarez won 6-2, 6-0.

The Huskies are back at it at home on March 9 against USC to open Pac-12 play.

Reach reporter Kyle Gehler at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KyleGehler