3-2-1, basketball: The Daily’s primer on Utah and Colorado

• 0

The Washington men’s basketball team is back at home, and solidly into the stretch run of the Pac-12 schedule. Next up: Utah and Colorado.

3 numbers to know

.474: Statistics-wise, Utah may be the best shooting team in the Pac-12, leading the conference with a .474 field goal percentage. Normally, the teams with better shooting percentages are the teams with star post players who can get the ball down low and convert from short-range, but the Utes are managing their high clip while making more three-pointers per game than anyone in the conference. In terms of adjusted field goal percentage, which counts three-pointers 50 percent more than two-pointers, the Utes lead the conference at .560, 18 points ahead of second-place WSU.

33.3: If Washington misses a shot, there’s a good chance Tyler Bey is going to get it. The Colorado sophomore leads the Pac-12 with a defensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 percent, meaning that he pulls down a solid third of opponents’ missed shots. Bey has pulled down at least 10 rebounds in eight conference games so far, including four of his past five.

114: Utah has been the worst in the Pac-12 at picking pockets, with just 114 steals this season. With the Utes averaging 4.56 per game, Washington is nearly doubling them up in the category. Utah is middle-of-the-road in terms of turnovers and personal fouls, but with such a low defensive output, the Utes are bottom of the conference in both steals-to-turnovers and steals-to-fouls ratios.

2 names to know

Timmy Allen — Utah F

When Washington and Utah faced off in Salt Lake City five weeks ago, Allen only scored seven points, but did a little bit of everything else, leading the Utes with 32 minutes played, 11 rebounds, and five assists. On the season, he’s one of Utah’s most well-rounded players, landing in the top three of minutes, points, rebounds, steals, and assists.

D’Shawn Schwartz — Colorado G

Schwartz is fifth on the Buffaloes in scoring, averaging just over eight points per game, but last month in Boulder he exploded for 22 points against the UW, including going 4-for-5 from beyond the arc. Since then, he’s cooled off a bit, scoring six points or fewer in six of the past eight games, but with another crack at the UW zone, he could be primed for another breakout performance.

1 recap of last week

Colorado and Utah hosted the Arizona schools this past week. Utah split its series coming back from a one-point halftime deficit against Arizona to win 83-76 and losing to Arizona State 98-87. Colorado managed a pair of one-possession wins.

Reach Sports Editor Josh Kirshenbaum at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @J_Kirshenbaum