Rainsberger finishes runner-up, Huskies finish third at Stanford Invitational

• 0

One week after the UW men’s cross country team finished runner-up at the Battle in Beantown, the No. 16 women’s team put on a show of their own. The Dawgs, led by junior Katie Rainsberger placed third as a team against tough competition down in Palo Alto.

The Huskies got a big boost by placing two runners in the top-five. For the second race in a row, Rainsberger finished first for Washington, placing second with a time of 20:39.70. Fellow junior Kaitlyn Neal was the second Husky to finish, coming in fifth with a time of 21.01.20. Senior Emily Hamlin finished in 20th with a time of 21:35.60, just a second in front of sophomore Allie Schadler in 21st. Washington’s last scoring position was taken by junior Nikki Zielinski who finished in 45th with a time of 22:15.50.

Freshman Olivia O’Keeffe was in scoring position but didn’t finish the race. Director of Track and Field Operations Maurica Powell told GoHuskies.com that she would be fine.

Other notable finishers included redshirt freshman Sarah Carter in 47th, freshman Madison Heisterman in 53rd, and sophomore Kiera Marshall in 59th. This was the first real Washington race action for Rainsberger, O’Keeffe, Carter, Heisterman, and redshirt freshman Shona McCulloch after a controlled appearance at the Sundodger Invitational on Sept. 8.

No. 3 Stanford won the team title with 60 points after placing two runners in the top-three including the individual winner, senior Elise Cranny. Adams State, the top-ranked school in Division II finished in second on 69 points before the Huskies who ended up with 90 points. The Huskies did defeat fellow Pac-12 schools UCLA, Arizona State, and frequent competitors Cal Poly and San Jose State.  

The Huskies won’t be in action again until Oct. 12 when they head to Wisconsin for the Pre-Nationals.

Reach reporter Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita