Huskies try to bounce back over weekend

• 0

After falling to Texas and Utah State last weekend in the ITA kick-off series, the Washington men’s tennis team returns home to face Liberty and Santa Clara. 

The Huskies’ first road-trip of the season did not go according to plan, but the team is ready to learn from it and come back even stronger.

“It was great to be out there with the team, even though we had some tough matches,” freshman Ernesto Turegano said. “Now we have a bit more experience with that, and we’ll be ready for next time.”

This experience on the road will be valuable for the Huskies, who currently have four freshmen on their roster. The Huskies (1-2) have trusted Turegano and fellow freshmen Ewen Lumsden, Kasper Smith, and Adam Torocsik early in the season, with the group having already played in a combined 14 matches. The development of these freshman will be a key for the Huskies moving forward as conference play approaches.

The Huskies have been doing everything they can in practice to regain focus and get back in the win column this weekend.

“We’re working on being concentrated at all times and pushing each other,” Turegano said. “We’ve been practicing really well lately, and after these last few matches, we know what to expect and how we have to play.”

Reach reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder