GymDawgs lose to UCLA at home

• 0
Riley

Monica Riley works the beam during the meet against UCLA.

The No. 15 Washington gymnastics team competed against No. 3 UCLA in a meet that filled Alaska Airlines Arena with an attendance of 7,228. The Huskies lost to the Bruins, finishing with a total score of 196.000 while UCLA scored 197.600 and won every event.

Senior Monica Riley was the top-scoring Dawg of the meet, scoring an all-around 39.100. Riley placed second behind Kyla Ross for the Bruins, who scored 39.775.

On the beam for Washington, 9.800 was a popular score, with a four-way tie between junior Madison Copiak, junior Evanni Roberson, junior Maya Washington, and freshman Brenna Brooks for the lead on the event.

Sophomore Geneva Thompson led the Dawgs on the vault with a 9.825. Ross for UCLA scored a perfect 10 to top the category.

Riley led the way on the uneven bars with a score of 9.850, tying her in fourth.

On floor the Bruins were too much of a force with Katelyn Ohashi scoring a perfect 10. Washington and senior Kristyn Hoffa were the leaders for the Dawgs, each scoring 9.875s.

Friday, the GymDawgs will head to Oklahoma City to compete in The Perfect 10 Challenge against No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 19 Arizona State, and George Washington.  

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee