The best of times for Fred Huxham

• 0
Huxham

Senior Fred Huxham runs at the Husky Classic on Feb. 8. 

In his senior year at Washington, distance runner Fred Huxham has set personal bests in both his races but still hopes to leave a bigger impact on the Washington track and field program before he leaves.

Huxham has the best times for the Washington track team this year in both the 3,000-meter and the 5,000-meter runs, the two longest events for indoor track.

“It’s been really great,” Huxham said. “I really don’t have a whole lot to complain about, I’ve PR’d in both races I’ve run.I’ve been having a good time outside of competing too, just practicing with the guys. We’ve had a good atmosphere this indoor season, we’re just keeping it rolling into the rest of the season."

The senior ran the 5,000-meters in 13:42.67 at this year’s Husky Classic, good for second best in school history. His time of 7:51.82 in the 3,000 meter race at the Washington Indoor Invitational is third best.

Huxham realizes his time and his opportunity to move into the top spot.

“It’s in the back of my mind, but it’s not a huge goal for me,” Huxham said. “I would like to run a bit faster than I have, but really I would just like to place well on the national level. I think that’s more important.”

Former UW standout Colby Gilbert sits atop both those lists. Gilbert graduated last year, so there was a lot of overlap with Huxham on the distance team; the two even lived together for a year.

“He’s a guy that definitely spent the time doing the little things,” Huxham said. “That’s definitely something that I learned from Colby, especially in the first couple of years that I was here: you do have to spend the extra time making sure that you’re healthy and making sure that things are going the way that they should be.”

The UW distance team has been trending upward, especially with eight new entries to the school’s top-10 lists for the mile, 3,000-meter, and 5,000-meter races this season alone. Now that Huxham just has a few more months on Montlake, he wants to keep that momentum.

“I just want to show up everyday and be a positive influence on the guys that I’m running with and hopefully help them have a better time,” Huxham said. “When people are happy generally they’ll train a little bit better too.”

The senior will be running at the MPSF championships this weekend, which starts today at noon and tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JoshTreEddy