UW women’s soccer drops fourth straight

• 0
Van der Jagt

Washington’s Olivia Van der Jagt dribbles upfield during the Huskies’ 1-0 win over Oregon.

The Washington women’s soccer team held on until the 104th minute, but the defense finally broke down in a 1-0 overtime loss to Arizona.

Overtime has not been friendly to the Huskies (7-7-1, 2-5 Pac-12); they have lost three of their five games with extra time and has only pulled out one win.

Today’s loss featured one goal, and it took 104 minutes, but Arizona’s Brynn Moga was able to get past the Washington backline on a break and drill the shot past keeper Siena Ruelas to walk off victorious.

Ruelas grabbed four saves in Tucson, including running out of net in the 89th minute to stop an Arizona attack and force the game into overtime.

The UW defense was able to limit the amount of shots on frame for Arizona, it only allowed 31 percent of the oppositions attempts to get on target and force Ruelas into a save.

The offense continues to struggle for the Dawgs, it has been shutout in three of the team’s past four games. The only goal scored in that time period was by a defender.

In last week’s loss to UCLA, head coach Lesle Gallimore stated the team’s need to take advantage of corner kicks. Today, the Huskies did not do much better with their five corners of the game, in which they only got two shots off those chances.

The Dawgs finished with just three shots on target.

The best chance for the UW came in the 90th minute when sophomore Mireya Grey broke free down the left side after intercepting a pass near midfield. She sprinted down the sideline past the Wildcat defenders with nothing but turf in between her and the keeper, but was unable to get a shot off before getting tripped from behind to end the chance.

Washington stayed on the right side of a lot of whistles with 14 of the game’s 22 fouls going against Arizona. The Wildcats (9-4-2, 2-3-2 Pac-12) also piled up three yellow cards in the match.

The UW will look to end its losing streak at Arizona State Sunday Oct. 21 at 1 p.m.

Reach reporter Josh Eddy at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @JoshTreEddy