Jaden McDaniels commits to Washington

• 0
Sports

At 10:03 p.m. on Twitter, five-star recruit Jaden McDaniels finally put an end to one of the most secretive recruitments in recent memory by officially committing to play at the University of Washington.

In the post, McDaniels tweeted a photo of him in a UW uniform, with text saying, “I’m staying home.”

The Federal Way alum chose the Huskies over Kentucky, UCLA, Texas, and San Diego State. McDaniels is by far the best local player to commit to the UW under head coach Mike Hopkins. According to 247Sports, he is the second best local player to ever play on Montlake, behind only Spencer Hawes.

McDaniels joins fellow five-star freshman phenom Isaiah Stewart to give the Huskies two top-10 recruits for the first time in program history. They are also the only team in the country with two players ranked in the top ten. The addition of McDaniels lifts the Huskies from the No. 25 ranked class into the top-ten. The two five-star recruits will be joined by guards RaeQuan Battle and Marcus Tsohonis, as well as transfer point guard Quade Green who will be eligible once conference play begins.

On the court, the 6-foot, 11-inch McDaniels fills a significant hole for the Huskies with the departures of Matisse Thybulle and Jaylen Nowell. His defensive experience at Federal Way and long wingspan point to him likely replacing Thybulle at the top of the 2-3 zone.

On offense, McDaniels instantly becomes the Huskies best weapon the moment he steps on the court, even if Nowell decides to withdraw his name from the draft by the May 29 deadline. McDaniels has the ability to handle the ball when needed, is advanced at getting to the rim, and can knock down threes at an impressive clip.

Reach reporter Kyle Gehler at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KyleGehler