Huskies fall to Pepperdine in tough nonconference matchup

• 0

The Washington men’s tennis team fell to Pepperdine 4-0 in a non-conference matchup Sunday. 

The Huskies (5-10) fought through every point to stay in the match, which was much closer than the 4-0 score might indicate. Missed opportunities plagued the Dawgs, along with an inability to convert in the big moments.

The doubles point was decided with two back-and-forth matches, one of them featuring the freshman duo of Ewen Lumsden and Adam Torocsik at the No. 3 slot. Lumsden and Torocsik played well, but faltered down the stretch in a close 5-7 defeat.

Seniors Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer were involved in a battle of their own, losing in a tiebreaker to Pepperdine’s Corrado Summaria and Enrique Rico 6-7(2-7). These two doubles losses set the Huskies back and gave Pepperdine traction in the match.

The singles matches were tight, and freshman Ernesto Turegano fell in another tiebreak to Matias Sborowitz 2-6, 6-7(10-8). Pepperdine secured its last point of the night with a victory at No. 2 singles, as Piers Foley fell 4-6, 3-6.

The Huskies had three matches on the night go unfinished, and they held the advantage in all of those matches. Lumsden was leading 6-2, 6-6 against his opponent when the match was called. Senior Sebastien Hawken was in a three-set battle, and leading 6-3, 1-6, 3-2 at No. 6 singles. Sommer had also fought to gain a 6-4, 5-6 lead in his No. 1 singles match.

Winning the doubles point, or one more singles match would have turned the tides for the Huskies, and allowed several of the unfinished matches to be completed. The Huskies will look to bounce back on Tuesday, March 26 against UC Santa Barbara.   

Reach Reporter Caden Conder at sports@dailyuw.com Twitter: @cadenmconder

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here.