“the gift that keeps on giving”

How the stigma behind herpes is often more damaging than the virus itself

• 26
1

Herpes often bears the brunt of STI jokes.

Sometimes referred to as “the gift that keeps on giving,” or “the only thing that doesn’t stay in Vegas,” the herpes virus gets a good amount of publicity. But in all seriousness, it’s time that we better understand this virus.

Herpes is a lot more common than you might think. According to the World Health Organization, more than two-thirds of the world’s under-50 population is estimated to be infected with the more prevalent of two herpes viruses.

Herpes can be caused by one of two types of the human herpes simplex virus: herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) or herpes simplex type 2 (HSV-2). HSV-1 most commonly causes blisters around the mouth, including what we all know as “cold sores.” HSV-2, on the other hand, is usually associated with genital sores or lesions.

While each virus has its infectious preference, both types can affect either area, and are becoming increasingly related to one another.

A new study by the UW School of Medicine published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases reveals a blurring line between the two types of human herpes simplex virus.

Researchers found that HSV-1 and HSV-2 are recombining, forming new versions of the herpes virus. This may have negative implications for the development of an HSV vaccine if the live HSV-2 vaccine recombines with already circulating HSV-1 strains.

“The reason that these viruses can recombine is that they are so similar,” Amanda Casto, a researcher in the study and senior fellow in the Division of the Infectious Diseases at the UW School of Medicine, said.

These new findings add a layer of complexity to our discussion about herpes and whether or not your cold sore is something to be worried about.

The best way to advocate for your own sexual health is to get STI tested. Whether you have symptoms or not, it is important that you get tested after every sexual partner. Herpes can be spread asymptomatically, meaning it’s contagious even when there are no visible symptoms.

Even so, many college students choose to forgo STI testing as a result of the stigma associated with such infections. However, when it comes to herpes, the shame that comes with the virus is often more damaging than the physical consequences.

“[Herpes] is limited in its implications,” Patricia Atwater, director of health promotion at Hall Health, said. “We attach so much stigma to what is really just a virus. We need to process [this stigma] socially, individually, and in our relationships to understand its ramifications on our self-esteem and how we live our lives.”

According to Atwater, one of the best ways university students can protect themselves from herpes and other STIs is to have more open, honest conversations with their sexual partners as well as their physicians.

While these conversations may be difficult, they are certainly worthwhile.

If you or your partner have already been diagnosed with herpes, Atwater suggests taking an antiviral suppressant medication. This may decrease viral shedding by 50%, halving your chances of transmission. Secondly, she suggests using a barrier method.

“In general, it is a good idea to use a barrier method when having sex, no matter what kind of sex you may be having,” Atwater said. “That could look like using condoms, dental dams, or finger cots.”

Taking preventative measures to protect yourself from herpes is important. Once you have it, the virus lives in your system forever, showing symptoms intermittently. However, if you have already been diagnosed with herpes, it doesn’t have to stop you from having a healthy sex life.

“There is no reason why someone [diagnosed with herpes] couldn’t lead a very happy, healthy sex life that is enjoyable for them or their partner(s),” Atwater expressed.

Finally, Atwater encourages students to take care of their overall physical and mental health. When you take care of your body, your immune system is stronger, and you may be less likely to contract herpes. This could look like practicing good sleep hygiene, eating often and well, keeping your stress levels down, and other self-care measures.

At the end of the day, herpes isn’t fun, but it’s also not the end of the world.

Reach contributing writer Katie Pattenaude at development@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KatiePattenaude

marrisonhansen290

God bless Dr. Okasi for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2017 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched out some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. Okasi, how he cured HERPES,DIABETES,HIV,EX_LOVER BACK and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. Okasi truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don’t you contact him through his EMAIL: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com.

marrisonhansen290

Am Chen Roger by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Okasi saved him from the VIRUS with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Okasi on his Email: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest Man on earth now thanks to Dr. Okasi God bless you....

denalucia01

I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there's no cure for Herpes I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes virus, I saw a post of Dr. Okasi a herbal doctor that's helping people get cured from HIV, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and I told him how I'm feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was negative. I haven't had any symptoms anymore. Dr. Okasi is great, and his herbal medicine has no side effects. You can reach him on his Email: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com.

denalucia01

I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there's no cure for Herpes I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes virus, I saw a post of Dr. Okasi a herbal doctor that's helping people get cured from HIV, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and I told him how I'm feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was negative. I haven't had any symptoms anymore. Dr. Okasi is great, and his herbal medicine has no side effects. You can reach him on his Email: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com..

DREREDIAWA

AM HERBALIST DR EREDIAWA, I Cure Different Types Of Human Infections And Diseases Using Natural Roots And Herbs. I’m also a professional spell caster and my major areas of concentration are Sexually transmitted infections (STI), also referred to as sexually transmitted diseases (STD) e.g; herpes 1&2, HPV, diabetes 1&2, Hepatitis B, HIV,Halitosis also referred to as Bad Breath, and venereal diseases (VD)” contact me on my website drerediawaherblahome.wordpress.com or email me: drerediawaherbs@gmail.com

Naiahmed

Getting cured from HSV 1 using herbal medicine was a dream come through after 6 year's of been diagnosed. I got contact on an article and made talks with Doc via his Whatsapp channel +2348110708828 .i also checked on his website. Today I huge you to write to him just like me and be cured . qqw

DREREDIAWA

AM HERBALIST DR EREDIAWA, I Cure Different Types Of Human Infections And Diseases Using Natural Roots And Herbs. I’m also a professional spell caster and my major areas of concentration are Sexually transmitted infections (STI), also referred to as sexually transmitted diseases (STD) e.g; herpes 1&2, diabetes 1&2, Hepatitis B, HIV, Bad Breath, HPV and venereal diseases (VD)” contact me on my website drerediawaherblahome.wordpress.com or email me: drerediawaherbs@gmail.com

ericaswift

Hello, everyone! I'm here to educate you and express my gratitude to God for leading me to the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV).

I was positive to the deadly virus called HERPES and I lost hope because I was rejected even by my closet friends and family members

I searched online to know about cure for HERPES and I read a testimony on how a lady was cured of HSV-2, so I decided to contact the same herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything.

I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me not to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God.

He prescribed his special herbal remedy which he called cleanser and I used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) for a month and some days by so doing I was cured.

It's really like a dream but I'm so happy.

That's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be save just like me.

And if you need his help, you can email him on oseweagbonifo@gmail.com. or check on them on their website: herpesredemption.com And please when you get cured do not hesitate to tell people about this so that more can be saved.

Mind you, i was never asked to do this but i put it upon myself to do this advert because i believe in life saving and that God is in support of it that's why He created the herbs the herbalist are using to help mankind.

Again my gratitude goes to Dr O/IK may God bless you.

mennakylie

I was suffering from ( HERPES DISEASE ) for over 3 years,i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a man called Dr Ehigie, she said he cure Herpes disease and also said he has helped her friend to cure Herpes Virus, and cure other people with different diseases, i never believed her but after a lot of talk, i decided to give the DOCTOR a try, just few days later i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he prepared a herbal medicine and sent to me with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am Negative. Big thanks to him. You can also contact him if you wish yourself to be cure too and also give it a try Contact him on his Email: Ehigie@gmail.com. if you need his help for HERPES cure.

mennakylie

mennakylie

My Name is mumbi from U. S. A . i decided to share my life testimony on this forum because i know so many people will have same problem which you are finding difficult to solve. i have been sick for over 6 years now. i have been to so many hospitals and i could not get the solution to my sickness. i decided to discuss my problem with my friend (Mary). she introduce me to a powerfull temple. i never believe i could get healed so fast, she gave me the email of the spiritual Doctor name by DR EHIGIE. i contacted him via email: EHIGIEHERBALCURE @GMAIL. COM. i contacted him and he assure me that he will help me cure the sickness. he instructed me on what to do and i obeyed him. to my greatest surprise, i was healed within 7 day. i have promise to announce to the world the great work he did for me. DR EHIGIE. if you have any sickness that you need cure as fast as you think. i would advice you to contact DR EHIGIE. His Email:EHIGIEHERBALCURE @GMAIL. COM. he will help you cure your sickness just the way he have help me to cure my HIV/AIDS.

(1) HIV/AIDS

(2) HERPES 1/2

(3) CANCER

4) ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)

(5) Herpatitis

(6) Emphysema

(7) COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

(8) asthma

(9) Acute angle-closure.

mennakylie

(1) HIV/AIDS

(2) HERPES 1/2

(3) CANCER

4) ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)

(5) Herpatitis

(6) Emphysema

(8) asthma

(9) Acute angle-closure.

mennakylie

My name is Laura I live in united state, i am here to give my testimony about a spell caster called DR EHIGIE who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2014, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay.So One day I went online on the internet to know more clue about the Herpes Simplex Virus i came across a review of a lady called Helen saying that she got her Herpes Simplex Virus cured by A spell caster Called DR EHIGIE. And she also went as far to drop an email address and advise anyone to contact DR EHIGIE for any kind of help. So i gave it a try by contacting him through his EMAIL and explain my problem to him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen and applauds and if you also need a help, you can also email him DR EHIGIE On his EMAIL: EHIGIEHERBALCURE @GMAIL. COM. The God that use this great man to cure me it will also use him to cure you too.give him a try and you will see the result.

grantthomas6449

Hello to everyone here. I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there's no cure for Herpes I felt so bad and unhappy, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes virus, I saw a post of someone online testifying about a herbal doctor that's helping people get cured from Herpes, HIV, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and I told him how I'm feeling he said his herbal medicine cure herpes completely. I ordered for the medicine and He sent me the medicine through courier delivery and I received the medicine three days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was tested negative. I haven't had any symptoms anymore. Dr. Tokubo is a great herbalist, and his herbal medicine has no side effects. You can reach him on his Email:drtokubotemple@gmail. com

mennakylie

REAL HERBAL CURE THAT WORK. CONTACT DR EHIGIE ON EMAIL(EHIGIEHERBALCURE @GMAIL. COM) TO GET THE HERBS.

Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr Ehigie has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man how he cure people from different diseases with his herbal medicine.I decided to give it a try and i contact him in is Email and explain my problem to him and he sent me the herbs through DHL and he gave me instructions on how to use it which i did and after i finish taken the medicine,i went to the hospital for checkup and the result shows that am HIV negative and the doctor said there is no trace of the virus in my body. Dr Ehigie cure me from HIV with his herbs and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. If you need his help to get cured just the way I got mine, just email Dr Ehigie on EHIGIEHERBALCURE @GMAIL. COM and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Herpes, Hepatitis and Cancer of all types , HPV, HSV1&2

sophia

HPV It's the most common sexually transmitted infection/diseases, i was so devastated when i first get tested positive and I was able to get rid of it with the use of herbal medicine which i got from https://dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site, indeed you are a great herbal healer and am grateful to have came in contact with Dr Ofua Ofure , Thanks for your good work and God bless you.

Susan Shaw

sophia

To get cured from herpes visit https://dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site

park2019

My name is park steven,…My life is back!!! I am really happy, that i have been cured of (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of Dr Musa Ibrahim , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me . he told me what to do , and he gave me his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follows his instruction for use and he ask me to go for a check up after 3 weeks and which i did, to my greatest surprise my result came out as negative, i am really happy that there is someone like this DR Musa Ibrahim who is ready to help anytime any day. Dr Musa Ibrahim have also helped others with different illness . His Email on:drmusaibrahim20@ gmail. com

Gary522

I’m from USA am here to give my testimony about Dr Voke who helped me cure my HERPES (HSV), i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS), i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try herbal medicine; from a very powerful herbal doctor called (doctorvoke@gmail. com) I looked up his blog on the internet site and indeed he have had immense success with his product. There were lot of persons posting their testimony about how he cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result just came out negative. (doctorvoke@gmail. com)

Gary522

I’m from USA am here to give my testimony about Dr Voke who helped me cure my HERPES (HSV), i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS), i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try herbal medicine; from a very powerful herbal doctor called (doctorvoke(a)gmail com) I looked up his blog on the internet site and indeed he have had immense success with his product. There were lot of persons posting their testimony about how he cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result just came out negative. (doctorvoke(a)gmail com)

tiana

Hello everybody,

i don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, i have been suffering from herpes since last three years with my boyfriend but today i am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr GAB the great healer,i was browsing the internet searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr GAB cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr GAB brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (greatdrgabsolution(a)gmail.com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: (greatdrgabsolution(a)gmail.com) you can call him or whatsApp his number (+2349037848970)

matthew

HELLO EVERYONE I AM MATTHEW IF YOU HAVE HERPES AND YOU NEED PERMANENT CURE CONTACT______________________DRBASHABRAHAM@GMAIL.COM or whatsapp +2348024809258, HE CURED ME , I AM FREE FROM HERPES.....

Gary522

IF YOU HAVE HERPES AND YOU NEED PERMANENT CURE CONTACT______________________DOCTORVOKE@GMAIL.COM, HE CURED ME LAST WEEK, I AM FREE FROM HERPES.....

sharonnick

There is no other medication that can cure herpes and other STDs, or STIs, permanently, i have come to find out that herbal medication os the only form of medication that has cured herpes successfully, i was once tested positive of herpes but herbal medicine i got from Dr Ofua Ofure help me to get rid of herpes totally, now am free from herpes virus permanatly. search google online for dr ofua ofure thegreatherbalhealinghome to know more about his herbal healing products.

denalucia01

Am Reuben Mike by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Okasi saved him from the VIRUS with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Okasi on his Email: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest Man on earth now thanks to Dr. Okasi God bless you..

denalucia01

It's a wonderful feeling waking up everyday to know that am completely cured from herpes virus after 2 years of constant embarrassing outbreaks. Thank you so much Dr. Okasi contact Dr. Okasi on his Email: okasiherbalsolution @ outlook. com you can also reach him on his web site: okasisolutiontemple.webs.com...