D Center prepares for its largest event in history: Haben Girma comes to the UW

• 0
Courtesy photo

Last quarter, snow covered the UW and greater Seattle area. In the midst of students frolicking in the snow and midterms being delayed, several campus events were also canceled, including one from the D Center. Fortunately, Haben Girma (she/her), a disability lawyer and the first deaf-blind graduate of Harvard Law, is coming to the UW on Tuesday, May 7.

Disability is an Asset: An Evening with Haben Girma will be hosted by the D Center in the HUB North Ballroom from 5 to 7 p.m. The HUB and North Ballroom are mobility aid accessible and American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters and communication access real-time translation (CART) captioning will be provided at the event. The D Center only asks that attendees arrive scent free.

Girma will be sharing her personal stories as an advocate and her recommendations for how to make the UW an accessible community. At the end of the event, audience members will have a chance to ask Girma questions.

“When we address the small barriers in our community, we develop the skills to tackle large obstacles,” Girma said in an email. “I lecture in colleges to help students recognize that every single one of us has the power to make our community more inclusive.”

Tuesday will be the largest event hosted by the D Center in the history of the UW. The staff recommends checking out Girma’s website to find out more about the work she does, including her frequently asked questions page. Otherwise, everyone is welcome to attend while tickets are available.

D Center adviser Lesley Ellis (she/her) is looking forward to the event creating “a wider conversation about access and academia and what it means to be disabled.”

The D Center is located in the basement of Mary Gates Hall and can be followed on Facebook and Twitter (@UWDCenter).

Reach reporter Adi Stein at wellness@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Adi_O_S

Like what you’re reading? Support high quality student journalism by donating here.