Since 1891, The Daily (and its predecessor, The Pacific Wave) has been home to thousands of jugglers, storytellers, artists, and budding business people. Students learn to write, edit, illustrate, and design an award-winning newspaper; or sell advertising, all the while juggling academic course work and other commitments.
In addition to preparing the print edition, students are exploring the electronic frontier by developing multimedia content for www.dailyuw.com; The Daily Video, our broadcast wing of talented videographers; and an array of podcasts. Our work is published both in newsprint and the web, including including YouTube, Twitter, and others.
As a student-run newspaper, staff members learn effective communication and how to manage teams and their own schedules in a business environment. They also learn the responsibilities linked to the great power inherent in the Fourth Estate regardless of whether they continue in journalism or evolve into politicians, public servants, or business people.
The Daily is one of the most awarded college newspapers in the United States, having placed at or near the top in several national and regional contests over the years. At the 2010 National College Media Conference, The Daily earned the Pacemaker for General Excellence, Best of Show, Story of the Year Editorial/Opinion, Story of the Year Diversity and Multimedia Story of the Year. Most recently, The Daily was awarded the 2018 SPJ awards for breaking news reporting and in-depth reporting.
The Daily is published online Monday through Friday throughout the academic year. The Daily also publishes regular special editions and the quarterly Pacific Wave Magazine both online and in print available for pickup across the University of Washington campus and local U-District community.
The advertising department is also student-led and staffed. Students are responsible for generating more than $300,000 annually in advertising sales by working with local and campus clients.
Students interested in working, writing, or creating for The Daily should check out current openings at www.dailyuw.com/join or on Handshake. If you or your business is interested in advertising with The Daily, please visit www.dailyuw.com/advertising.
• 1.6 million copies of The Daily are distributed per year: 10,000 copies, 164 issues
• Well over 1.4 million – the number of times our YouTube videos have been viewed
• More than 290 – the number of students involved in The Daily each quarter
• $350,000 – the value of advertising sold by students to local businesses, campus organizations and individuals
• $300,000 – the amount of Student Activities Fees returned last year to students through part-time employment
• The Daily is part of Student Publications, which is a department within the Division of Student Life at the University of Washington.