Women’s Tennis faces Fresno State and Denver

• 0

The women’s tennis team will return home to face Fresno State Friday and Denver Sunday, after an encouraging weekend at the ITA Kick-off. The Huskies upset No. 20 LSU 4-3 and kept it close with No. 9 Duke before ultimately falling 4-2.

This performance led the team to believe they can play with anyone and are hoping that the added confidence boost will stick with them for the rest of the year. 

“We all competed like we believe that we are right there, and I think actually having matches like we had gives us that much more confidence in each other,” junior Kenadi Hance said. “I think we carried ourselves like we really believed like it was our match, like we were supposed to win these matches. I think that’s something that definitely helped, and I think if we continue to have that belief in ourselves we can do some really cool things this year.”

Head coach Robin Stephenson liked what she saw this past weekend, despite the team not playing its best tennis of the season. 

“I don’t think we necessarily played our best tennis, but we competed at our highest level,” Stephenson said. “I think it showed the girls that it is going to take that sort of effort day in and day out to achieve the goals that we set.”

Stephenson is focused on the matchups against Fresno State and Denver. She is not concerned about the team being drained emotionally after competing in a hard-fought tournament.

“I think the girls are pretty focused on our goals and focused on one match at a time,” Stephenson said. “We did a good job last weekend, but that was last weekend. We just have to move forward, and every match counts and we have two really good teams that we have to get prepared for. I think the girls will be refocused and have a good week of practice to get ready for those two teams.” 

The Huskies will be looking to get out to a fast start this weekend and win the doubles point, as they did last weekend. Against two higher-ranked opponents, winning the early matchups set the tone for the game.

“I think we came out really strong in the doubles, just off the bat showing them that we were in every point and giving 100 percent every point and we weren’t going away,” sophomore Katarina Kopcalic said. “I think if we can do that every match that can show our opponents that we’re just gonna be there and not go away at any point. That’s really important, especially for tight matches, because it forces your opponent to start thinking a little more.”

Reach reporter Kyle Gehler

at sports@dailyuw.com.

Twitter: @KyleGehler