Film to End Your Week

‘Pretty in Pink,’ dir. Howard Deutch

Featuring such iconic lines as: “His name is Blane? That’s a major appliance; that’s not a name.”

• 0
Film to end your week

Despite the stereotypical high school party with actors who are definitely not in high school, “Pretty in Pink” is a classic worth seeing. Watching Andie (Molly Ringwald) be so driven and not succumb to what others say about her is like a breath of fresh air. She is a female character wise beyond her years, especially with her confident style and unwavering attitude about her complex, yet sweet relationship with Blane (Andrew McCarthy). It was comforting to find a female character in a film that I could relate to.

John Hughes wrote the screenplay for the film, and in true Hughes fashion, the music is impeccable. I find myself humming “If You Leave” every time I watch it. This film has a way of leaving a mark on its viewers.

Of course, I can’t forget to mention Duckie (Jon Cryer). The nickname “Duckie” just adds to the oddness and levity of his character. And if you know Jon Cryer from the TV series “Two and a Half Men,” your perception of him will be completely changed when you see him with well-coiffed hair and loud, patterned blazers. There is also an excellent dance scene to Otis Redding’s “Try a Little Tenderness,” and that is all I will say about it — you really have to see it.

The film is appropriately reminiscent of the likes of one of Hughes’ other films, “The Breakfast Club,” and shares DNA with the modern coming-of-age film “Lady Bird.” The understated aesthetic, dry humor, and overall delightful experience that “Pretty in Pink” delivers gives me hope that, yes, we can make films for teenage audiences that are witty, layered, and original.

Reach writer Kendall Kitahara at arts@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @kendallyk1