ASUW

New developments on the North campus dorms and the Husky Real Food Challenge (HRFC) emerged during the last ASUW Board of Directors (BOD) meeting on Nov. 2.

Robert Lubin, director of facilities and capital planning for UW Housing and Food Services (HFS), presented an overview of the project status, and its connections to the values the HFS promotes.

“We’re about the Husky experience at the university,” Lubin said. “So the kinds of programs that allow students to be successful and creative. That’s been the philosophy in developing new housing.” 

According to Lubin, redeveloping North campus was crucial for more than one reason: following third party audits, it was established that the 1960s buildings’ infrastructures were no longer up to code. 

What was more surprising to many were the costs. Complete redevelopment of the dorms turned out to be more affordable than piece-by-piece renovation of the current buildings. According to the HFS website, renovation would cost more than new construction by at least $80 per square foot. 

The new master plan introduces five new buildings: Oak, Willow, Madrona, and new facilities for Haggett and McCarty hall. Madrona and McCarty will open in fall of 2018, while Oak hall is expected to open in fall of 2020. 

Willow Hall will be active as soon as summer of 2018, as it is meant to be used as housing for athletes participating in the Special Olympics USA, which Seattle is hosting this summer. 

A part of the new master plan is Center Table, the new dining hall meant to replace The 8 in McMahon hall. Denny field will also be incorporated into the new environment as an artificial turf field fit for year-round use. 

Following the presentation, director of campus partnerships Anna Johnson updated the BOD on the progress the Husky Real Food Challenge student committee has made this past month.

The committee has so far collected data from other universities that are participating in the challenge, considering various demographic information when assessing how the HRFC has impacted those campuses. 

Members have also made a matrix outlining the similarities and differences that the campus already uses (used by the UW sustainability office and dining facilities to those of the HRFC. 

Now, the committee is focused on getting accurate and representative student feedback. 

“I’m working really hard to make sure that all of our students are being heard,” Johnson said. “And getting into spaces to make sure that we can collaborate as much as possible to come to a consensus in the student body.” 

The ASUW Board of Directors meets every Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in HUB 303. 

Reach ASUW reporter Niva Ashkenazi at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: niva_ashkenazi