Hate wins: The only way is forward

• 14
Red Square protests

Downtown protesters mobilize to Red Square at the University of Washington the day after election results.

In the immediate aftermath of election night, disbelief dominated our newsroom. Anger, fear, grief, and confusion followed soon after, but by the next morning, we remembered what our role as is journalists: to tell the truth, minimize harm, and hold those in power accountable.

The election of Donald Trump to the presidency of the United States threatens not only our profession as journalists, but our existence as people. This is not the time to be impartial or neutral; neutrality is complacency. 

Trump’s victory represents many things, but hatred and fear are prominent among those. We know what he has said and done throughout his life, especially during the last year and a half. He has mocked the disabled, exhibited unapologetic misogyny, encouraged and perpetuated sexual assault (for which he will be on trial soon), opened the floodgates for emboldened racists by leading by example, denied climate change, and has overall threatened the existence of anyone who is not a white man in America. 

We condemn his election to the most powerful office in the nation as a bigoted, confused backlash against rapid social change. We acknowledge the role apathy and corruption have had leading up to his win. We recognize and empathize with the marginalized communities that are in the most immediate danger. 

But now, we move forward. 

Solidarity, advocacy, and resilience are what we look to now. Hope is nice, but actions are more meaningful. Women, LGBTQIA+, people of color, Muslims, undocumented citizens, and anyone else threatened by the Trump campaign will need our help. We must stand between our fellow citizens and anyone who wishes to harm them, even if that is the government. 

Our collective health and well-being will be paramount in the next four years. If the results of the election have taken a toll on you mentally or physically, we encourage and support you in taking a step back and doing anything you need to feel better. Self-care is not laziness, it is crucial for resistance. 

It can be easy to accept disillusionment and despair as the the new normal, but it is much more radical to mobilize. Vote in midterm elections. Organize and volunteer for causes you are passionate about. Befriend and learn from those who don’t look like you. When you witness injustice, act. The power of America doesn’t come from one position, it comes from us.

It is also important to resist giving in to hatred, the very thing we are so afraid of in this moment. Goodness still exists in us and our fellow people, and it must continue to thrive to prevent the next four years from becoming one large step backwards. While Trump may have won, numerous others who oppose his ideals did too. Pramila Jayapal is the first Indian-American woman elected to Congress. Ilhan Omar is the nation’s first Somali-American legislator. Catherine Cortez Masto is the first Latina senator in U.S. history. Jay Inslee is our Washington state governor once more. These are individuals intent on protecting our values from bigotry. 

The blame game is tempting, exclusion even more so, but to seal yourself off is to embrace the xenophobia championed by Trump. Physical and mental spaces of inclusion and safety are vital to our survival, now more than ever. Do not lash out against opinions different from your own. Seek to understand and educate instead. It’s not easy to admit, but divisiveness and alienation on both sides led to this outcome. We must do better, together. 

What does moving forward look like in concrete terms? It looks like support and unity. Reach out to those closest to you that you know are more affected by this than you. Don’t wait for someone to ask for your support, offer it willingly and fiercely. When you are sure you’re alright, that your loved ones and your community are alright, begin to take action. 

Here are some resources for tangible actions you can take now and for self care on the route to making our country greater than hate. 

Volunteering and advocacy: 

Personal resources:

• The UW Counseling Center — washington.edu/counseling
  • Hall Health mental health clinic — (206) 543 4716
  • Forefront suicide prevention — (206) 543 1016
  • Huskies for Suicide Prevention and Awareness — hspauw.com
  • UW SAFE Campus — (206) 685 7233
  • UW Health and Wellness — (206) 543 6085
  • The Crisis Clinic — (866) 427 4747

Signed,

Editor-In-Chief Mohammed Kloub

Opinion Editor Rebecca Gross

Arts & Leisure Editor Colin Piwtorak

Sports Editor Alexis Mansanarez

Wellness Editor Aleenah Ansari

Science Editor Emma Bueren

Photo Editor Aurora San Miguel

Copy Chief Angelina Caplanis

Copy Chief Molly Quinton

Development Editor Susana Machado

Podcast Editor Alex Bruell

Special Sections Editor Makayla Kinsella

Reach the editorial staff of The Daily at editor@dailyuw.comTwitter: @thedaily

Emma Bueren is the Science Editor of The Daily, but in her spare time likes writing beer reviews for Arts and Leisure. She is, after all, still in college. Reach her on Twitter @EmBueren, where she sometimes tries to be funny.

If you feel threatened call 911

If your feelings are hurt then grow up and deal with the situation

I suspect you're going to be feeling pretty sore when you finally realize that you've been conned by a billionaire who has absolutely no intention of doing anything that will benefit you or our country. The funny thing is, I don't think he even expected to win. He just wanted to make money -- sell a couple thousand MAGA hats and direct small campaign contributions into his hotels and book publisher, lose BIGLY, then start up that al-right media company so he could make even more money... except it didn't quite work out that way. Maybe when Trump's term is over (or he's impeached) I'll run for president. It would be an excellent business opportunity.

Those aren't real memories. Your head is full of memories from Deckard's niece

Your a skin job

When was the last time anyone dissented from any view you personally hold regarding race gender sexuality, you know the drill, and was not instantly judged by you as a bigot?

Well, actually, I'm not the type to have conniption fits whenever someone says something mildly prejudice or offensive. But what you're defending is reprehensible. To put this another way, when Hillary called Trump's supporters "deplorables", you took offense. In fact, you interpreted her words to mean "white trash", even though she never said that. Much of Trump's campaign has been about insulting people and groups. Undocumented Mexicans are murderers and rapists, Muslims shouldn't be allowed to enter our country, a judge overseeing the Trump University fraud case is biased "because he's a Mexican".... really, the list goes on for quite a while. But none of that really mattered, because it didn't pertain to you.

You see, that whole liberal PC thing actually makes sense, because we live a multiracial, multicultural society and this country is home to all of us and not just people like you. And that's something the "deplorables" just don't seem to understand.

I am replying to the people like me comment that the deplorables do not understand.

We are in perfect agreement as to principle and perfect disagreement as to implementation. I think any one can call any direct group of people anything, so long as it is action based, and better yet very direct action based.

Rioting for example is only done by criminals with no respect for those whose property destroyed and lives disrupted. Support for a Presidential candidate is too broad for me to base judgment of personal character personal worth upon.

Also, there is the terribly skewed or weighted freedom of expression in the thing that you eloquently and intentionally expose. Hilary is a woman and she is against Trump wining. Therefore she can denigrate his supporters in broad strokes. Trump is a white male and of the right, therefore he can not directly denigrate individuals, even those whoe have either attacked him individually or broken US law.

The Left has become a theocracy that brooks no dissent. The are the modern day arbiters of sin and guilt.

Back to an earlier question or challenge I raise:
When was the last time someone (particularly some one as you say like me) disagreed with you in a point involving gender or race and was not thusly rendered racist or genderist?

Show me an example of direct dissent not labeled with these so self servingly and so often falsely applied words. Where is there any disagreement with the Left on race/gender/gayness that is only labeled as dissent and not turned into sin? The Left has labeled itself as inviolate and pure. It has become a church and one directly wed to government office and policy.

"I think any one can call any direct group of people anything."

Except you don't. You were offended by what Hillary said because, again, it was about you and not some other group. Your double-standard is glaringly obvious.

"Hilary is a woman and she is against Trump wining. Therefore she can denigrate his supporters in broad strokes. Trump is a white male and of the right, therefore he can not directly denigrate individuals, even those whoe have either attacked him individually or broken US law."

Again, Trump has blatantly labeled entire groups of people as dangerous or threatening to our country but also attacked individuals based on their heritage and faith. Hillary said half of Trump's supporters are a basket of deplorables. Did she mention race? religion? ethnicity? No, because she was speaking about ideology. Yes, it was a misstep, but for you to ignore the vile, divisive rhetoric that fueled Trump's political movement is either ignorant or disingenuous. And gender does not give people impunity to be prejudice -- I frankly have no clue where you got that idea.

"The Left has become a theocracy that brooks no dissent. The are the modern day arbiters of sin and guilt."

You're stupid white trash. FREE SPEECH!

I am replying to the comment where you called me stupid white trash today at 1:27.

This is what we are at in this thing and this is what fueled the anger that elected Trump and also the anger that has the Left rioting.

There has got to be a way for those not in political lockstep with the Left to dissent without being called stupid white trash.

No political debate should need "___fill in the blank____"-ism or "___fill in the blank____"-ist.

It has become more game show than debate. We listen only long enough to be able to smack the buzzer and shout I'll take "___fill in the blank____"-ism for 500 Jack.

We could all of US just as well moo instead of isting or isming. What would contemporary debate even be without opponent labeling?

Jesus, what if we had to call people by their names and debate the actual policies?

This is getting awfully repetitive, but when was the last time some one dissented from your view in any matter involving race/gender/gayness/you know the drill and was not thusly rendered an isiming istist?

This has become so knee-jerk I am not even offended by being called stupid white trash. I do not get mad when the geese honk in the park.

I'm not actually calling you white trash. What I'm trying to do is expose the absurd level of hypocrisy involved in your defense of Trump. You actively promote a society where people have no respect for each other, then cry foul when someone says something that you just happen to find offensive. You can't have it both ways.

A lot of things elected Trump, but one them has been on display during this conversation and it's your total lack of respect and empathy for those who Trump preyed on.

"Jesus, what if we had to call people by their names and debate the actual policies?"

The irony.

I reserved the benefit of the doubt as to the white trash. Likewise I do not really think you are a replicant.

Witness that the phrase "white trash" is in fact allowable when earned. This is not symmetrically reflected across race. What could you possibly call me if I was the same man but black?

More to the point, you have to parse out my argument from the background in order to refute it.

I am not a Trump defender though I am one who voted for him.

It is PC that I voted against. "Toxic whiteness", toxic maleness", campus safe spaces, cultural appropriation, "lived experience" authoritarianism, and you could extend the list. And so could any.

I have this next bit on cut and paste now so here it comes again: Has there been one point raised against Liberal view of affirmative action or immigration that was not an ism by an isist?

How many more immaculate policies to come?

In other words if I want to form opinion rather than swallow a theology, I must not empower the Left

I do not attend church on Sunday by choice. I would also like to not attend while working here at the UW and going through life as a resident US citizen. There are still a few open air theocracies in the world today. The US is not supposed to be one of them. One of our 2 major parties has become a religion and ironically right at the point where the other was forced to stop being one.

Do you think that swing voters will not consistently vote against this kind of thing? That is a big part of why we are swing voters in the first place. Several recent US Presidents required the swing vote to win, the list ending recently at Trump.

Political thought control will more likely loose than gain the swing vote.

Every little bit counted in this election. We will likely be here again (I mean so closely divided) in 4 years. If the Left starts respecting dissent, and robustly so, I will likely be leaning left after 4 years of Trump. If the Left runs to the trenches on PC over the next 4 years, I will likely be further Right in 4 years. Many swing voters will respond similarly.

"I am not a Trump defender though I am one who voted for him."

You voted for Trump's platform, so by extension, you voted for what you believe in:

You believe that undocumented Mexicans -- by a large margin -- are rapists, drug dealers and criminals, when in fact out of 11.2 million only 177,960 were convicted criminals. You believe they should be forcefully removed by a mass deportation force. This includes people brought to our country as children who have never really known any other home. This terrifyingly fascist and echoes the treatment of Jews in Germany and the Muslims in Bosnia.

You believe that Muslims should be banned from entering our country or undergo strict "religious purity tests" (Trump position is vague on this). He has said that we should torture suspected terrorists, kill their family members and install extra surveillance near mosques. He insisted that the massacre at the Pulse night club in Florida and the shooting in San Bernardino was an act of terror by ISIS, which was false. The man who shot up Pulse was even born in the U.S.

He fed the racist lie for years that our first black president wasn't born in the United States.

He has made enumerable derogatory statements about women -- about their appearances, their menstrual cycles, that he can grab their genitals without consent because he's a "star". Since the release of that tape, at least 10 women have come out claiming they were either assaulted or violated sexually by Trump. You voted for a sexual predator.

As for kids protesting Halloween and yoga on college campuses, trying to conflate that as exemplifying the "the left" is ridiculous. It's like saying that people who buy guns and then go murder a bunch of people are indicative of all gun owners. Even I don't believe that.

And let me just remind you how this conversation got started -- with you trolling this newspaper, spamming multiple articles with patronizing rants about calling 911 and my personal favorite, that people should "grow up". Don't tell me that Trump was a protest vote against this right-wing fever dream of a tyrannical leftist plot to undermine personal freedoms. Your bullying, ignorant behavior personifies what you voted for.

Well you are not going to listen to my concerns about thought control and the coercive theology if the Left at all, are you.

Why don't you just inform me that I agree with you and have done with it?

Many that voted Trump have become very tired of having to listen to others about what they think and feel.

Careful if context hear. It is true that I very much Ture of the seemingly incessant emmotionalism of the Left.

The point here is that I am vastly more tired if hearing from the Left what my emotions and allegiances are.

By the way we are ordering out tonight. What should I get in the pizza?

"Well you are not going to listen to my concerns about thought control and the coercive theology if the Left at all, are you"

I have listened, it's just difficult to respond to nonsense.

"Many that voted Trump have become very tired of having to listen to others about what they think and feel."

Which makes sense, considering that you voted for a fascist that has no respect for the first amendment and vilified journalism throughout his campaign.

"Careful if context hear. It is true that I very much Ture of the seemingly incessant emmotionalism of the Left."

Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!

"By the way we are ordering out tonight. What should I get in the pizza?"

How about Trump steak?

Hate has become a charge of witchcraft.

And it is one so readily usurped.

Why?

Trump said bad things directly to individuals that he had strife with: people illegally in the US, Islamic terrorists, and hilarry Clinton. Trump said bad things directly about individuals and groups defined by actions and choices that he did not like.

Hilary called all of his supportes stupid white trash.

Trump bears the label of biggot.