Where to go for your wellness

An introduction to UW health resources

• 0

The UW is a huge campus with vast wellness resources, and yet, many UW students are unaware of many of them or are overwhelmed by too many choices.

“We’ve heard from a lot of students that this could be very challenging for students to navigate resources at the UW,” said Kiana Swearingen, training and communication specialist at Safecampus. “Students often don’t know who to talk to, who has the right information, [or] where to go when they need particular help and support.”

There is a huge gap between resources and students’ awareness of them. Student Well-Being Collaborative, however, is one group working on this gap.

“Student Well-Being Collaborative is a group that gathers many campus partners that are involved in student wellness, including Hall Health, SafeCampus, Health and Wellness, UW recreation, and many others,” Kaitlin Schreiber, Healthy Huskies assessment intern, said.

This group meets monthly to discuss how they can increase collaboration among wellness resources and how they can connect students with these resources to enhance student experiences as a whole.

“A key factor of the Collaborative is that there are very few times that all of these groups get to a room together,” Swearingen said. “So, the key part is simply building relations between staff and faculty, between departments, organizations at the UW who don’t get to talk to each other often.”

Healthy Huskies is involved with this group and makes sure the UW is committed to prioritizing holistic student wellbeing; in other words, helping all Huskies to be Healthy.

Healthy Huskies has funded Health and Wellness, which focuses on drug and alcohol use, student projects on sexual assaults, and UW Recreation for providing mindful practices for students during finals, and many others.

Healthy Husky Fest is also held every beginning of the school year to promote awareness of wellness resources around campus for students.

The future goals of the Student Well-Being Collaborative and Healthy Huskies are to consider building a unified website for all wellness resources to streamline communication as well as to enhance team building among each group.

The main message these representatives want to convey is that there is a very committed group on campus who really care about students’ experience at the UW. There is no wrong door to go to or wrong person to ask because faculty and staff are more and more equipped with knowledge of resources and can help connect you with a suitable resource.

Here are some wellness resources:

Guidebooks for students, faculty and staff, and TA and RA::

https://fyp.washington.edu/healthyhuskies/?page_id=199

General mental health concerns:

Mental Health Clinic at Hall Health provides free assessment and referral services, further therapy and counseling are available for a fee.

Counseling Center in Schmitz Hall provides free and confidential counseling.

Suicide prevention:

SafeCampus is where you can ask for help. Call 206-685-7233. It opens 24/7.

Suicide Intervention Program within Health and Wellness is able to help. Call 206-543-7454.

Husky Help & Hope

Disability resources:

Disability Resources for Students is a great place to start.

Sexual and gender orientations, identity and expression:

Q center is a confidential and non-judgemental space for advising and gender discussion.

Undocumented Students:

Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center is dedicated to support undocumented students at the UW.

Insurance:

“Especially out-of-state students, who are on their family insurance plan, may or may not have any coverage in Seattle.” Patricia Atwater, Hall Health director of health promotion, said. “Since UW doesn’t offer insurance plan for domestic students, it can be very difficult to get a plan that works for people. And we see that in undocumented students and DACA students as well.”

Hall Heath has an insurance counseling program to help out.

Want to get involved?

Peer Health Educator is a group of students who are trained and host workshops promoting wellbeing.

Green Dot offers bystander training and applications open every quarter.

There are many more resources available and please check out the guidebooks for further resources related to hazing, alcohol and drugs, interpersonal violence, student-athletes, and etc.    

Feel free to call SafeCampus at 206-685-7233 for anything that makes you feel unsafe concerning yourself or others. They are well-trained specialists who will provide useful tips and redirect you to a more suitable resource if necessary. Of course, if there is an emergency, please call 911.

Reach reporter Yiru Luo at specials@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @YiruLuo