Find your yoga happy place

• 0

The first years of my yoga practice were comprised mainly of classes at my gym, in rooms cluttered with exercise equipment and post-treadmill bodies. These classes were great, especially considering that the majority of a beginning yogi’s first classes are spent trying to keep in sync with the class and pair names with postures. 

Nowadays, yoga is more personal and intimate to me. I’ve discovered that the environment in which I practice yoga has become important. As it is for many people, I use yoga as a personal solace; while studies and stress continue to take up more of my time, it’s become increasingly important that I practice in spaces that are conducive to presence. Luckily, Seattle has no shortage of wonderful studios. The following are a sample of yoga studios in the U-District. 

This is not intended to review these studios in a critical manner, much less to pit them against each other. Personally, I enjoyed classes at each of these studios, for different reasons. Yoga is personal, and judgement runs in counter to its teachings. Also, these are definitely not the only yoga studios near campus. There are many other great options in the U-District and nearby neighborhoods. Read on to learn a bit about my experience at three unique studios. I encourage you to try them all at some point and see how they make you feel.

We Yoga Co.

The first studio I tried, during my freshman year at the UW, was We Yoga Co. This was a challenging and invigorating heated vinyasa class taught by an encouraging instructor. The atmosphere there is positive; I found it quite easy to focus internally, as I focused intently on the more difficult postures. This studio has big windows, which create a feeling of openness that applies to the general positive and open vibe of their classes. 

Their location on Roosevelt Way Northeast and Northeast 45th Street is also less than a block away from a bus stop where many buses that run on Northeast 45th Street stop. Consider trying We Yoga Co. if you’re beginning to venture into hot yoga. Friendly instructors can make even the most challenging classes less scary.

CorePower Yoga

I first discovered the CorePower Yoga studio chain through Classpass (which is a great option for those looking to try out multiple studios without breaking the bank, by the way). Their classes, as their name suggests, are focused toward strength and are based on a more circuit-style vinyasa. Their location on 12th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 45th Street is convenient for most U-District dwellers. It’s a short walk from campus, and many bus lines run down Northeast 45th Street, if you’re a bit farther away.

CorePower also certainly appeals to a younger crowd, which suits their trendier atmosphere. This makes sense as they are corporate and, thus, are a little less individual than some studios. The class I attended was comprised almost entirely of college students. Their space felt almost like a spa: very clean and light. While this style of yoga certainly deviates from traditional yogic practice, it definitely can appeal to those who find that sweating a bit helps them to feel happier and more relaxed. 

District Yoga

District Yoga is likely familiar to students interested in yoga. With their convenient location on The Ave, you’ve definitely walked by their cozy studio. I attended a Sunday evening class here, and their whole space was calm, dimly lit, and quiet. The studio itself does have a window on one side, so it can be assumed that natural lighting has an effect on the studio during the day. The practice space was a long, rectangular room, with space to spread out with a smaller class size. The studio was dark, save for some string lights that were hung up. 

District Yoga is definitely one of the homier studios I’ve taken classes in; it feels comfortable and soft. This atmosphere, combined with their $10 student drop-in classes, make this studio appealing for students looking to relieve stress. They offer a wide variety of classes, including several Bikram options.

Reach Special Sections Editor Alyson Podesta at specials@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @alyson_podesta