Letter from the Editors

After three years of grinding through college, seniors might ordinarily return to campus jaded and exasperated by the unencumbered energy of all the new freshmen. Conversely, freshmen might arrive on campus overprepared and overconfident — at least outwardly. But this is no ordinary fall quarter, and freshmen aren’t the only ones feeling wildly unprepared.

Some sophomores may be stepping onto campus for the first time, while for us juniors and seniors, no amount of time spent studying into the wee hours of the night at Ode or munching on overrated (you heard us) pasta from Orin’s Place could prepare us for the year ahead. We’re all feeling apprehensive that classes will remain in-person for long and a little anxious that we’ve forgotten how to make friends.

Recognizing that mix of terror and cautious optimism in all of us, from the grizzled upperclassmen to the wide-eyed newbies, The Daily presents this year’s Pacific Wave: Back to School edition as a gentle reintroduction to the quintessential Husky experiences we get to reclaim together. This magazine covers the resurgence of live shows, the ingenuity of student-athlete monetization, and the sacrifices of frontline workers. Whether it’s your first time on campus or you’re returning for your last year, we hope these stories help you navigate the uncertainties and find community with a bit more confidence.

Estey Chen and Martina Povolo

Pacific Wave Co-Editors

Check out the E-Edition

With all the conversation surrounding the different COVID-19 variants, it is difficult for the layperson to discern who to trust and how to take further precautions against new “variants of concern,” as indicated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  Read more

PROJECT BY
Editor-in-Chief,  Brooke Kaufman Managing Editor, Trevor Hunt       Pacific Wave Editors,  Estey Chen & Martina Povolo    Specials Design Editor,  Dylan McKone
Web Editor,  Dylan McKone      Illustrations Editors,  Milo Nguyen & Irika Sinha      Photo Editor,  Ryan Sun       Copy Chiefs, Diana Davidson & Madison Morgan