Beach Dawgs split Day 2 of Queen’s Cup

• 0
BVB Courts

After a mixed first day in Hawai’i, the Washington beach volleyball team had the chance to play both No. 14 Loyola Marymount and San Jose State again. The Huskies (8-13) first fell to the Lions (22-9) in a 5-0 sweep before beating the Spartans (11-12) 4-1 with four of the games going to three sets.

Game 1

Washington’s No. 5 pair of sophomore Chloe Newton and freshman Callie Weber was the only UW duo to force a game go to three sets. They stole the first from LMU 21-14 but couldn’t finish, losing 21-13, 15-11.

Other than that, it was all sweeps for the Lions, and relatively easy ones at that. At No. 3, senior Cat McCoy and sophomore Avie Niece were dominated by the LMU duo, losing 21-7, 21-9.

In the No. 1 matchup, the senior duo of Kristen Gengenbacher and Destiny Julye lost  21-14, 21-17. Sophomore Kara Bajema and junior Shayne McPherson lost at the No. 2 position 21-14, 21-13, and Emma Calle and Samantha Drechsel fell 21-13, 21-17 at No. 4.

Game 2

The Huskies’ turned around their fortunes in their second matchup of the day, grinding out three-set wins for three of their four points against SJSU.

Gengenbacher and Julye dropped their first set 23-21 but were able to make a comeback, winning the next two 21-11, 15-12.

Bajema and McPherson were neck-and-neck most of the match but were also able to pull away just enough to get the win, 18-21, 21-15, 15-13.

At No. 5, Newton and Weber lost their first set 21-17, then came back to win 21-17, 15-10.

Calle and Drechsel won easily at No. 4 in the only game of the match that didn’t go to three sets, 21-15, 21-12.

The Washington loss came from McCoy and Niece at No. 3. With Washington already up 4-0, they lost 21-13, 19-21, 16-14.

Tomorrow the Beach Dawgs have one more game, facing No. 6 Hawai’i for the second time.

Reach reporter Madison MacPhee at sports@dailyuw.com . Twitter: @madison_macphee