Huskies can’t keep up with No. 9 Ohio State in 85-76 loss

• 0

Up against a very experienced No. 9 Ohio State, the Washington women’s basketball team fought hard, but the offense was not consistent enough to complete a comeback. The Huskies (1-2) lost 85-76 in their first road game.

Freshmen Khayla Rooks and Kierra Collier each had 15 points to pace the team. Sophomore guard Amber Melgoza and freshman forward Fapou Semebene each pulled down 10 rebounds, but couldn’t find their shooting touch, going 4-of-17 and 1-of-7 respectively.

Tied at 21-21 after one quarter, the Buckeyes (4-1) made their first six shots of the second. Senior guard Kelsey Mitchell scored seven points in that 14-2 run, and finished with a game-high 27.

In the third quarter, the Huskies struggled offensively, going five minutes with only one made field goal. That allowed Ohio State to stretch its lead out before a couple of three-pointers from Rooks cut the deficit back down to 12.

The freshman forward’s third three of the game brought the Huskies within three points with under seven minutes to play, but another tough stretch had them looking at another double-digit deficit.

The Buckeyes’ top seven players in their rotations consist of just juniors and seniors, but the younger Huskies were still able to force them into mistakes. Mitchell and redshirt senior Linnae Harper each had five turnovers, as a team, Ohio State had 17.

However the UW was even more careless with the ball, with 21 turnovers of their own.

Each time points became hard to come by, the Huskies did not relent in other aspects of the game, contesting shots and crashing the glass. The combination of mental mistakes and poor shooting just was too much to overcome against a top-ranked team.

Reach reporter Aaron Huang at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @aaron_c_huang