An Alaskan Malamute named Dubs will become the UW's 13th live mascot, the school announced yesterday.

Dubs is being trained and is expected to make his official debut at Husky Stadium Sept. 5 when the Huskies host LSU in the season opener. Born last November, Dubs may also make an appearance at the UW's annual spring football game in April.

Dubs replaces the former mascot, Spirit, also an Alaskan Malamute.

Spirit was scheduled to retire after last season, but suffered a shoulder injury after stepping in a hole while chasing a squirrel prior to the Sept. 6 game against BYU, cutting his season short.

Last September, the UW Athletic Department began taking online submissions for a name for the new live dog mascot. The field of 1,400 nominations was narrowed to Admiral, Dubs, King, Koda, Legend, Reign, Spirit and Sundodger, the name UW Athletic Director Scott Woodward said Tuesday he thought would win.

More than 20,000 votes were cast in two rounds of online voting before the results were announced.

Fans can keep up with Dubs on his personal blog - http://huskymascot.blogspot.com.

Reach reporter Maks Goldenshteyn at sports@dailyuw.com.