Washington returns home with a top score

• 0

All season, the goal of the No. 16 Washington gymnastics team has been to score a 197 as a team. Meeting that benchmark would take a significant improvement of nearly five-tenths from a previous season high, but in their return home Saturday, the Huskies succeeded in meeting their goal with a 197.000, topping No. 11 Oregon State’s 196.500.

The Dawgs put together a full meet with solid scores from each gymnast for a strong team score, and strong individual scores led the way on individual events and all-around. Senior Hailey Burleson scored a season high on all-around with a 39.450 to win the title. Burleson’s 9.925 on beam and 9.900 on floor also lead the way for the Huskies.

On floor, Burleson’s 9.900 was tied with sophomore Maya Washington for the top score, echoing the Huskies’ first meet at home, when they faced another top-ranked Pac-12 opponent. The Huskies matched that meet on the floor in more ways than one, matching their season high 49.375.

Beam, where Burleson’s title-winning 9.925 was also season high, also saw improvement from senior Joslyn Goings, who hasn’t been putting up the same top beam scores as she did last season. However, a 9.900 put her back on track as one of Washington’s top beam competitors. Sophomore Madison Copiak also contributed a 9.900, tying Goings and two Oregon State gymnasts for second place. Altogether the Dawgs put up their strongest beam score of the year, a 49.350.

Matching season highs was a theme of the night on bars as well, where junior Monica Riley matched a career-best 9.900 that she achieved only a week ago in Utah. She took the title once again, and Copiak took second place with a 9.850.  

The Huskies put on a solid team performance on the vault, with four Huskies part of a tie for second place with scores of 9.825, leading to a team score of 49.075.

The Huskies’ comfort with their home crowd and home equipment clearly paid off, leading to a season high 197.000, a score they had been looking to achieve all season. While a consistent top ranking from the College Gymnastics Association meant the Huskies were still in the conversation, the ability to capture a 197 will be what Washington needs to make the push back to the national championship.

Reach Managing Editor Hailey Robinson at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @haileyarobin