Wynn out as women's hoops head coach after four years

• 0

Washington head coach Jody Wynn walks off the court after Washington’s 62-50 loss to Hawai’i at Alaska Airlines Arena on Dec. 8, 2019. Wynn was removed as head coach of the Washington women's basketball team Monday, March 15 after posting a 38-75 record in her four years on Montlake.

The Washington women's basketball team announced Monday that head coach Jody Wynn will be relieved of her duties effective immediately. Washington Athletics Director Jen Cohen said in a press release that the program wished her the best but felt it was time to move forward. 

“I want to thank Jody for her contributions to the program the last four years,” Cohen said in a press release. “These decisions are extremely difficult, but we felt it was in the best interest of our current and future Huskies to make a leadership change and move in a new direction with our women’s basketball program."

Arriving from CSU Long Beach in 2017, Wynn went 38-75 in her four years on Montlake, and just 11-58 in the Pac-12. Her best year with Washington came during the 2019-20 season, where the team went 13-17 and won five conference games before losing to Utah in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. 

A former guard at USC, Wynn had been an assistant under Mark Trakh before taking the job at Long Beach State. During her time with the 49ers, Wynn's teams made three NIT appearances and an NCAA Tournament as CSU Long Beach won the Big West in her final year, going 24-9. 

However, Wynn's success in Southern California didn't follow her north. Her first season at the helm, Washington won seven games, though the team did have to replace 85% of its scoring.

Wynn's second year was slightly better with the team going 11-21, but concluded with a magical run at the Pac-12 Tournament where Washington beat Utah and No. 11 Oregon State before ultimately falling to No. 7 Stanford. 

The Huskies again improved her third year, and had just wrapped up a 7-14 season in 2020-21 when Cohen announced Wynn's removal. Washington, which missed several games due to COVID-19, capped its season with an upset of Colorado in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. 

According to the press release, Washington will conduct a national search for a new head coach immediately, helmed by Deputy Athletics Director & Senior Woman Administrator Erin O'Connell.

Reach Sports Editor Andy Yamashita at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ANYamashita