Instant: Washington offense stays stagnant, falls to Colorado

• 0

Rome Odunze attempts to push past a defender during the first half of Washington's game against CU at Folsom Field on Nov. 20, 2021.

After heading into halftime in a 10-10 tie, things slowly fell out of the Washington football team’s grasp Saturday afternoon as offensive mistakes took it out of the game. 

Turning the ball over four times, the Huskies (4-7, 3-5 Pac-12) beat themselves Saturday, losing control of offensive possessions over and over. UW’s production stayed stagnant between a touchdown late in the first half until late in the fourth quarter, and Colorado kept pushing on turnover scores.

Despite being within three points with less than two minutes left, the Huskies couldn't convert a first down and lost 20-17.

The turning point:

Colorado's first touchdown began the energy shift early. Washington's first fumble within the Colorado 10-yard line ended in a scoop and score 88-yard return to tie the game 10-10. 

The turnovers never stopped, and Colorado capitalized on the opportunities it was given, while Washington's offense struggled to get anything off the ground. 

One key stat: 4

Unfortunately for UW, the story of the day was its turnovers. The offense gave up two interceptions and two fumbles, including the scoop and score from Colorado to tie the game heading into the half. 

Colorado only scored touchdowns on turnover possessions Saturday, managing 17 points off of them while never turning the ball over itself. 

UW player of the game: Devin Culp 

Sophomore tight end Devin Culp, who has gotten increased playing time in the absence of junior Cade Otton, was a highlight for the UW offense, finding 83 receiving yards. 

Although nothing much happened on offense, Culp highlighted the scoring effort. 

His longest reception was for 33 yards. 

What's next?

The game extends Washington to a three-game losing streak and takes it out of bowl contention. 

Washington only has one more Pac-12 game this year in next week’s rivalry game against Washington State. 

UW has won the last eight Apple Cups against WSU. 

Reach Sports Editor Sydney Nash at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @sydneym_nash

Like what you’re reading? Support high-quality student journalism by donating here